Dabeli – Gujrat dish
Dabeli or Kutchi Dabeli, a snack from the state of Gujarat, made with small candy and hot potato filling at pav or buns with crispy carrots, pomegranate seeds, sweet tamarind and spicy garlic chutney.
Kutchi Dabeli or Dabeli as it is known as, has its source in the country of Gujarat, but today is a very popular street food in the state of Maharashtra also.
Smeared in butter and grilled on griddle or tawa, it’s a popular breakfast item or evening beverage. Dabeli means’pressed’ in Kutchi(a Gujarati dialect). Steak filling is pressed between the local Pav bread. Indian Burger because it’s also popularly known has its characteristic taste which gets comes from the Dabeli Masala, a spicy Masala. It can be homemade or store-bought. I typically use the store-bought one. The other ingredients that give the attribute taste is crunchy masala peanuts juicy pomegranate seeds. The contrasting sweet and spicy taste comes from 2 chutneys, hot garlic and chilli chutney and tangy tamarind (and dates) chutney. Readymade Tamarind chutney can be available, at Indian Grocery shop.
Dabeli has that genius mix of softness and crunch, sweetness and salt. Every seller include his own exceptional flavours into the dish, but by and large, a dabeli is made from buttered pao, grilled on a tawa, split open and stuffed with a spiced potato mixture, onions, pomegranates and sweet- sour – hot chutneys. My friend’s dabeli mixture was generously dunked in sweet and tamarind chutney, tinged with a smidgen of garlic and sprinkled with sev ganthia for the part of pinch. There’s dabeli served with lashings of coriander, dabeli with the addition of fine shavings of coconut, even dabeli with cheese, for anyone seeking to further augment their waistlines. There are nearly as many versions as there are sellers!
For The Dabeli Masala
1 Red chilli
1 Teaspoon coriander seeds dhania
12 mm stick cinnamon 1/2″, dalchini
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds jeera
1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
For Your Filling
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds jeera
pinch aof asafoetida hing
2 tsp dabeli masala recipe over
Two tbsp khajur imli ki chutney
Two Tablespoon Oil
salt to Flavor
15 Hamburger buns
butter or for cooking
1 onion Sliced
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
1/2 cup Chopped coriander dhania
1/2 cup sev
1/2 cup New pomegranate anar
Two tsp fresh garlic chutney
6 tbsp khajur imli ki chutney
- Roast all the ingredients in a Bowl for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Grind into a fine powder into a blender. Use as required.
- Heat the oil in a bowl and then add the cumin seeds. If they crackle, add the asafoetida, then dabeli masala, potato, salt and 1/2 cup of water and mix well.
- Remove from the fire, add the two tablespoons of khajur imli ki chutney and mix well. Divide into 15 portions. Keep aside.
- Slice the burger buns into halves and cook exactly the buns into a pan using a small butter.
- Place Some of the filling onto the lower half of each bun.
- Top with the chopped onion, carrot, coriander, sev, pomegranate , fresh garlic chutney plus khajur imli ki chutney.
- Pairing it together with the top halves of this burger buns.